Monday, January 10, 2011

Season Of The Witch (2011)

Genre: Horror / Dark Fantasy

Source: Theretical Release

Grade: A+

I have been following and anticipating this movie for over a year now.Infact I remember when it was originally going to premiere back in March of 2010, but was pulled for a variety of reasons like they wanted to add some new scenes and they didn't want to release it the same weekend that "Repo Men" was being released. So it just disappeared and did not announce a new release date until freaken November, I mean seriously their was pretty much no status update on this movie between March and November.But alas my wait was not in vain because this movie was really awesome!

  Anyways the films story in my opinion was really cool and original. I`m not going to go into detail about it, but really the basic plot of the movie is Cage is a conflicted knight who must transport a mysterious (and sexy,I might add) Witch to the Monks of Severack. Though in order to get their they must go through some dark, creepy woods and treacherous terrain . So now the entire middle of the film consist`s of them traveling and all the action that takes place along the way. In fact their are some really great scenes of suspense during this part of the movie like when they have to cross a creaky rotting bridge, while I watched this part I knew in my head that Cages character wasn`t  going to die, but I couldn`t say the same for the rest of the characters. The action scenes in this movie were also really awesome, like for example the intro scene were these monks execute these girls suspected of being "witches" was such a great scary scene, that reminded me of such movies movies as "Witchfinder General" and "Twins of Evil" in terms of awesome religious fanatical witch killings. In fact i`d have to say this seriously one of the best movie intros i`ve seen in a long time.
         Now moving on to the cast, starting with Nicholas Cage, recently i`ve heard a lot of shit talk about him. You know what I have to say about that? ``Shut your goddamn mouths" ! Nicholas has more talent then any of those premadonna actress on any twilight,glee, or jersey shore pieces of crap. Even more hes got more acting ability then pretty boy Michael Cera, that Douchebag Ashton Kutcher, and any one on thous god awful actors in the Tyler Perry movies. I mean have any of you Cage haters seen "Raising Arizona" from 1987? Cages performance is so good, its very real and relatedly. But I highly doubt any of thous Cage haters have ever even heard of that movie.
       Sorry about that rant, but its something thats been on my chest for a long time. Ok moving right along Cages performance in Season Of the Witch was also a great performance. He really gave the character confliction and  depth. In a way I feel many actors could not have done.  On the other hand Ron Pearlman gave his character an appropriate rougueish style, he also provided most if not all the comic relief in the movie. But my favorite scene was Christopher Lees Scene were he plays this dying cardinal who just looks creepy and scary add that to Lees sinister voice you couldn`t have picked a better actor! It`s really good to see Legends like him still acting, in my opinion.
  Along with that the girl who portrayed the witch who was relatively new actress. She put on a very impressive performance, as a quite sexy witch in my eyes. Then the way she went from being completely innocent, to sinister, and then to pure evil was magnificent! This movie was overrall was very well casted.
    
        Altogether Season Of The Witch boasts some great actors and a very cool story that reminded me of a Hammer Horror film in how the atmosphere was so dark and suspenseful. Christopher Lees role as the dying Cardinal alone would make this movie a must see! I cannot recommended seeing this movie enough, its just a great Horror, Fantasy movie that is A+  material in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment